How to Choose the Right Online Casino
Obviously, the best casino is the one that suits your needs and personal preferences. You should only use services that feature your favourite games and, overall, ensure that you have a good time. But there are also some ways in which you can identify reliable online casinos, which we will cover here.
Here is what you should look for in order to make the right choice:
- Reputation and integrity. A casino's true reputation is a key indicator of whether you can trust it. The top 10 casinos for Canadian players all have overwhelmingly positive reviews and are respected in the gambling community. These platforms know that extra profit does not justify the risk of losing their hard-earned reputation and loyal clients.
- Game variety. Whether you enjoy blackjack, online slots, video poker, roulette, baccarat, faro, or even craps or keno, everyone wants to have multiple options. There should be a panoply of game titles available, meaning that there is a good chance of finding something that suits your playstyle.
- Deposits and withdrawals. Look for popular Canadian banking methods in major casinos. They should be compatible with a variety of simple, safe online payment methods, which you can use to deposit and withdraw money.
- Real winners. The best operators are committed to providing for a sizeable pool of players and paying out winners in a timely fashion. Our list features casinos with confirmed jackpot winners not only throughout Canada but also from the rest of the world.
- Customer support. If you have a problem, especially when it's a financial one, the platform's customer support should be a high-quality service. Top online casinos offer excellent 24/7 customer support through live chat, telephone, fax, and email.
Online Casino Bonuses
Online casinos are always coming up with new ways to attract new players and keep existing users on their platform. One of the most effective ways is to offer bonuses. Let’s take a look at the common online casino bonuses described below:
- Welcome bonus is awarded to new players when they sign up and make their first deposit. Usually, casinos will match whatever amount you deposit, but these bonuses do sometimes vary. They can range from 50% to 500%. If you are offered a 100% welcome bonus, and you deposit $50, you will receive a $50 bonus – a total of $100 to play with!
- No deposit bonus is like a welcome bonus, but better – all you need to do is create an account. This way, you don't have to spend any money, but you will already have an opportunity to try out a new casino risk-free.
- Monthly/deposit bonus is also called a reload bonus, where you are encouraged to play and make regular deposits. When you top up your account, you receive a bonus. Some bonuses depend on your activity from the previous month, so the more you play, the more you get gifted later.
- Payment method bonus isn't very common, but if you come across one, it's a huge plus. Some payment processors and e-wallet solutions collaborate with casinos to encourage more people to use their services. For example, if you use Skrill, you will get extra funds.
- High roller bonus is meant for VIPs or whales who gamble frequently. These players receive all kinds of incentives because they are highly-valued members of online casino communities.
- Refer a friend bonus is self-explanatory. If you like your experience at a particular casino and want to recommend it to a friend, you will be rewarded. You can enter a refer-a-friend program campaign by simply sending out a link to sign up or your promo code.
A very important point to mention about bonuses is that they come with some conditions. If a player wants to claim their winnings, they need to meet some terms, like a minimum withdrawal limit or a wagering requirement.
A wagering requirement shows how many times you need to play through a bonus to withdraw your profits. These multipliers (usually 10x to 50x) are displayed on the paytable, so make sure to learn these conditions in advance.
Let’s take an example. A casino offers a $60 bonus when you make a first deposit of $20 and complete a wagering requirement of 10x. Your calculations will look like this:
$20 (money deposited) x $60 (casino bonus) x 10 (wagering requirement) = $400
This means that if you want to withdraw all of your winnings, you must wager a total of $400.
Mobile Online Casino
Mobile gambling has rapidly risen in popularity. This makes sense, as people want to have access to their favourite games despite their fast-paced lifestyles. For this reason, game providers are continually working on new games, outstanding graphics, and exceptionally smooth gameplay.
Most major casinos are compatible with portable devices and can be downloaded as stand-alone apps on Android and iOS. So, you can play wherever you may be.
In most respects, mobile gaming is no worse than desktop gaming, and, in many ways, it’s actually even better. Now users can access their casinos of choice wherever they are without any limits on quality, payment methods, or gaming speed.
Online Casino Games
Players can enjoy classic casino games. just like those found in real casinos– but these games have been made to be faster, more exciting, and more convenient. If you're not sure which game to choose, here is a quick breakdown of all the most common types:
- Video slots are the simplest games available, and always attract loads of players. Some of them resemble the old-fashioned fruit machines that you can find in real-life establishments. But some take it to the next level – bonus symbols, wilds, scatters, bonus games, and rounds of free spins.
- Video poker is similar to slots but offers opportunities for decision-making that hugely affect the outcome of the game. This is based on a five-card draw where you can calculate the probability of getting a winning hand. Here, you can practice strategies and techniques to refine your skill and potentially net yourself a bigger profit.
- Roulette features an iconic spinning wheel familiar even to those who've never stepped into a casino. The premise is straightforward: predict which number the ball will land on and bet on it. If you want to change something up, there are multiple betting options, all of which will yield different results.
- Blackjack is a little bit more complicated and suits players who want to make decisions and play intelligently. For example, players tend to use different techniques to lower the house edge, such as card counting and betting systems. The ability to employ strategies is why many people choose this particular game.
- Poker may sound intimidating, but playing against RNG in an online casino is accessible for players of different skill levels. Plus, there are often huge selections of online poker variants, so anyone can find a version to suit their taste.
- Craps is based on predicting the outcomes of the rolls of two dice. Major casinos have contributed to the industry with their own development on this seemingly limited game.
- Baccarat is a luxurious and sophisticated game that is similar to blackjack in some ways. You have 2 or 3 cards, and the winning hand is the one with the higher score. The game perfectly suits high-betting players. Players have the potential to win serious money, especially when higher bets and the thin house edge are thrown into the mix.
- Arcades and scratch cards are great for players who aren’t too bothered with strategies or techniques. These games combine the amusement of classic arcades and the gambling aspects, which give you the chance to win some profits.
- Live dealer games precisely mimic the experience you get in a regular casino. In this category, all games are hosted by friendly croupiers in real-time. You will be playing via a high-definition stream, feeling like you're in authentic surroundings.
Best Canadian Online Slots
Slot machines are some of the most popular games that many beginners, as well as gambling enthusiasts love. It’s a basic game where you bet on the outcome of a spin, hoping that the symbols will match up on the reel. But despite their simplicity, they make for a fun gaming experience and offer loads of additional features.
There are many different slots, all of which add their own twists to introduce something new – pop culture influences, for example, or colorful, high-quality animations. Most of the best Canadian online slots feature generous payouts and bonus rounds. So, don’t waste your time – try out new slot game titles or classic fruit machines!
Best Featured Payment Methods
The vast majority of good online casinos have between three to five payment options, which customers can choose between. Here are the most common and convenient options offered:
- Credit сards from many financial institutions work seamlessly in tandem with online casino platforms. The biggest benefit is that you don't have to set anything up – you already have your bank account, and you just need to link it to the casino.
- Interac is Canada's national debit card service. It’s considered one of the fastest and easiest payment methods in Canada, developed by Canadians for Canadians.
- PayPal is the go-to method for all kinds of online purchases in all kinds of industries, including online gambling. You can join millions of users worldwide and make deposits with this service.
Skrill, formerly Moneybookers, facilitates quick transfers over the internet. Transactions can be performed by anyone and in over 40 major currencies, including CAD.
PaySafeCard is an industry leader in online, prepaid payment methods. If you’re looking for a no-strings-attached payment method, you can top up your PaySafeCard and play safely.
Neteller is one of the most recognizable e-wallet payment solutions dedicated to online casinos. Maximum security and bonuses for use are some of the reasons to look for this option when looking for a new casino to try.
EcoPayz is one of the most widely used solutions when it comes to casino payment methods. It was specifically designed for Canadian online users and consistently receives great reviews from gamblers.
eCheck is an online check service which is currently on the rise among Canadians as an alternative to e-wallets and credit cards. It works in much the same way as a traditional paper check but transfers funds electronically.
Bitcoin offers anonymous play and ensures that there are third parties involved in transactions, you pay no fees, and transactions are more secure. If a casino supports BTC, it’s a plus.
Canadian Gambling Laws & Regulations
Technically, online gambling is legal in Canada, under the condition that the website is based offshore. Local laws where the company is registered apply, but you should also pay attention to whether the casino is independently licensed and regulated.
We should mention the Kahnawake Gaming Commission, which regulates and provides licensing to online casinos, poker rooms, sportsbooks, and other online gambling activities. It is the earliest gambling jurisdiction in the world since the Mohawk Territory of Kahnawake was one of the first regions to recognize the potential of online gambling.
The Kahnawake Commission enacts stringent regulations, so if a casino is licensed by it, it's a good indication of its reliability. Currently, the Commission licenses over 50 online gaming operators and represents about 250 online gaming sites.
Also, it works in cooperation with the Financial Services Regulatory Commission of Antigua and Barbuda and the Lotteries and Gaming Authority of the Government of Malta.
Bear in mind that there are provincial laws with specific requirements, so some gambling laws will vary from state to state.